This section describes how SharePoint administrators can use SPDocKit to create Best Practices reports for a SharePoint Farm. In this guide, we will show you how you can build a report that counts the number of content databases per web application.
1. After taking a manual snapshot or loading an older snapshot, go to Best Practices in your navigation bar. To create a custom report, click New.
2. The Best Practice wizard will open. Type in the Name and the Description of your new report. Select a Location and then click Next to continue.
3. Choose the Data Source from the list. For this specific, report select Farm > Application Management > Databases > Content Databases and then click Next to continue.
4. Select the fields you want to include in your report. Based on your Data Source selection in the previous step, certain fields will be offered. For this particular report, choose Database Name and Web Application. Click Next to continue.
5. Once you have selected your fields, choose how your data will be grouped. For the report that we have selected, data will be grouped by Web Application name. Click Next to continue.
6. Choose the Aggregation Type Count. Click Next to continue.
7. You can choose the sorting order and specify the order of your fields. In this case, we are going to choose Ascending. Click Next to continue.
8. Select the fields where you want to apply the formatting. You can edit the conditional formatting rules by clicking the underlined value “specific”. For this report, select the field COUNT (Database Name). Click Next to continue.
9. Enter the preferred values and formatting rules. Click OK.
In this case, we adjusted so that when the number of databases per web application is over 300, the report will show an error. If the value is between 250 and 300, the report will show a warning, and if the value is less than 250 the report will give a positive result.
10. You can add conditions to filter data. Click the underlined value “specific” to edit the conditions. For example, when the condition Does Not Contain is selected, the report will not show web applications that contain entered value Central Administration in their names.
11. Click Next, then click Finish to close the wizard. Wait a few seconds and your SharePoint Best Practice report will be created!
Download this report: Number of content databases per Web Application.
SharePoint Best Practices – All Reports
View a full list of all available SharePoint Best Practices reports with descriptions or download the PDF: