This article explains how to upgrade the SPDocKit to the latest major version. SPDocKit database, saved farms, snapshots and application settings will be conserved in the upgrade process.
- The account running the application should have db_owner privileges on SPDocKit database to perform the upgrade process successfully. In case that you are also changing the SPDocKit Service account to the different one from the Service account that has been assigned to the previous application version, account running the upgrade should also have securityadmin role on the preferred SQL Server. This role will allow him to grant proper privileges to the new Service account.
- Perform the database backup before proceeding with the upgrade process, especially to the latest versions of the SPDocKit.
- Due to a number of database modifications, upgrade to SPDocKit 6.0 may take a while and License Management configuration will not be preserved.
- We redesigned email alerts feature, previously located under the Email Alerts tab of Options screen. Email alerts will not be preserved when upgrading to the version 6.2.0. and later. You will have to create new alerts. For more information on this, please follow this instructions.
- If you are upgrading from an SPDocKit version lower than 5.1.0., make sure you are on the SharePoint farm you were using this database for. Since the latest upgrade process uses a FarmID for data classification, upgrading SPDocKit database on other farms might result in data corruption.
1. Download the latest SPDocKit version and run the SPDocKitSetup.exe.
2. Installation Wizard will inform you that previous version, will be uninstalled automatically.
3. Click I Accept the terms of the license agreement to accept the license and then click Next > to proceed.
4. Choose the desired installation type:
- Install – the product will be installed on your computer.
- Run – the application will NOT be installed on your server but rather unpacked to a temporary folder. This is a zero footprint run, the application will not make any changes to your server. Some functions like automatic snapshots will not be available in this mode.
5. Choose between Default or Advanced installation.
- Default – program will be installed with default features. That is, only the SPDocKit application.
- Advanced – choose which program features you want to be installed. Available additional features are SPDocKit Collection Service and SPDocKit Event Viewer.
6. When using Advanced installation mode, the feature you choose in a previous version will already be selected. However, if you wish to change the feature which will be installed you can do so.
If the icon next to the feature is gray, this feature will be installed. If the icon next to the feature name is little red cross, then this feature will not be installed at the end of this process.
- The Event Collection Service crawls the ULS and Windows Event Logs and indexes them. Install this feature on a server outside of your SharePoint farm for minimal impact.
- The SPDocKit Event Viewer is used to search and view the events that the Collection Service has indexed. This is a standalone application which can be run without the SPDocKit application. You can install it on any available server, including the one where SPDocKit is installed. Read more about SPDocKit Event Collection.
7. Choose the installation folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Acceleratio\SPDocKit. Click Next > to proceed.
8. Select the location where to create application shortcuts and preferred availability option (Anyone or Only me). Click Next > to proceed.
9. The installation wizard will unpack your files and you will be able to run the application from: Start > All Programs > SPDocKit.
Note that with a major release of SPDocKit you need a new license key. If you have a valid Software Assurance go to our customer’s portal where you will see your new key. In case you do not have it, you will need a new license. In which case, please contact us.
If during the installation you encounter any problems and wish to enable logging to help you resolve the problems, you can start the installation using the command prompt with the following argument:
- * /l=”full path” will create a log file on a specified location.
- * /log will create the log file in an installation directory.
Note that this will work for both .exe and .msi installation files.